Palmiers (otherwise known as Elephant ears) are a French classic. Traditionally, these are served with no filling other than sugar and you would have to make your own puff pastry by hand- a long and arduous process.
It is for reasons like these that most people assume that French pastry is difficult to make. On the contrary, these buttery and flaky palmiers are a breeze. All you need is Nutella, chopped hazelnuts, an egg and store-bought puff pastry. Only FOUR ingredients.
The process of making them is even easier and even a complete beginner can make these with ease. They are perfect at a party or if you have friends coming round at short notice as they can be whipped it within ten minutes at the most. Definitely give them a try!
- pre-rolled puff pastry sheet
- 100g chopped hazelnuts
- 200g Nutella
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet and roll out the pastry a little more with a rolling pin so the pastry is nice and thin so that the end product is crisp.
- Spread a thin layer of Nutella all over the pastry sheet.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped hazelnuts evenly over the sheet
- Roll the pastry as if you are making a swiss roll except roll from EITHER SIDE of the pastry as though you are rolling a scroll. Continue doing this until the two rolls meet at the middle and you have the classic ‘elephant ear shape’
- Cut the pastry in slice that around 1cm thick.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the slices a few centimetres apart and brush them with the egg wash.
- Bake for approx. 15 minutes or until golden brown. (Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly!)